Keep Nostalgia Alive

Thursday, August 26, 2010


The other day I was heading down to my local outdoor shopping center and as I was searching for street parking, I noticed this new little shop had opened up. It was a Soda Shop! "How neat!" I thought. "Once I park, I will have to go in and see what it's all about." Of course, I am a vintage girl at heart and just love anything like this. So, I walked up to the shop and noticed that it was also a candy store. Inside they had aisles and aisles of candy as well as old bottles of different flavored sodas in all sorts of brands. And the old poster tins that lined the walls helped create such an interesting atmosphere which the customers inside this busy little shop seemed to enjoy.

After stopping in this place, I began to think about why places like this are popular. It seems to me that so many of us are craving nostalgia and it's no wonder. Everyone loves to go back in time for a little while and reminisce about our childhoods. We think about a simpler time when we weren't stressed over our mortgage, our jobs or our health. No, we get to walk into a little shop that has a bottle of Dad's Rootbeer (which reminds me of trips to San Diego with my Dad) or Chick-o-Sticks, Candy Cigarette's, Salt-Water Taffy among many other childhood favorites.

Places like the old Soda Shop, Candy Store, Ice Cream Shop, Bakery and even Pharmacy's help us remember the good times. And I think it's important to support these local businesses so that they allow us an escape from our current situations in order to remember simpler times and relax a little. I recommend searching out these shops in your local area and head on over! Heck, you'll get a chance to act like a kid again!

Photo: Ruffledblog.com by Megan W Photography

0 comments:

Post a Comment