My Favorite Pretty Things

Monday, August 16, 2010

Since my sister-in-law, Bonnie, and I are here to help you make your life a little prettier with helpful hints, tips, information and advice, I thought I'd start off by sharing some of my favorite "Pretty" things in this wonderful world. Now, you may think I'm crazy for saying that this world is wonderful, but the truth is that though human beings have created a rough, tough and war-ridden existence, this world is wonderful. There is no reason why we can't find the beauty that is out there. It only takes you - yes you - stepping back from your heck-"tech" life to see what makes it all so Pretty! Once, I decided to stop running after the things of the world that I didn't really want, I found that these are the things that make my life pretty.

1. Flowers. I know this seems cliche, but it's the truth. Whoever created the saying, "Stop and smell the roses" wasn't kidding. Over the past year I have had more time on my hands than I would have liked, but during that time I began this obsession for flowers. I noticed them everywhere I went and wanted to fill my entire home with them. I love most kinds of flowers, but my absolute favorite is the Climbing Rose. They are not the traditional rose. In fact, they only resemble a rose to me. They are a species all their own. The most gorgeous part about these flowers is the way the never-ending petals just seems to pour out of the center. This color is my favorite because of the way the petal colors fade as they begin to wilt. So pretty.

2.Vintage Paper. Look, I'm a scrapbooker and vintage girl at heart, so paper with vintage prints on it just makes me excited. Not only are the colors (the browns, faded greens, pale pinks and ivories) so pretty all on their own, but the patterns make me wish for another time. A simpler time, where it would have been expected of me to take my time getting ready for the day because I had to have the perfect hair, the perfect dress, stockings, heels, a coat, a hat and gloves. A time where, I could be simply a mother and house wife and no one would desire more for me. A time where I could feel satisfied with a simpler life. A life that gave me time to take pretty paper like this and place my family memories on it to enjoy when I'm old.

3. Tea Pots. Again, as I'm trying to slow down in life I'm drinking more tea to help me relax. The thing about tea is that just holding it in your hands makes you want to curl up under a blanket, read a book or watch a romantic film. Plus, sharing a cup of tea with a friend (or a sister-in-law!) is a sweet moment. You end up pouring your heart out without even meaning to. And so many tea pots and kettles are unbelievably pretty! Going to an English tea house with my Mother-in-law, I saw so many with floral prints that took my breath away. But when doing my own searching for one that would fit my home decor, I've found that even solid prints are pretty. Because it's not so much the colors or prints that make it lovely, as it is the rounded edges and elegant design of the pot itself.

4. An Autumn Forest. I was born, raised and lived my whole life in Southern California, so I've never really experienced a full-fledged Fall. In fact, I'd never really even seen what Fall looked like until I visited Napa Valley in the autumn months. Granted, I was still in Southern California, but the colors of the trees and vineyard leaves were so glorious. I'm also a huge fan of streets lined with trees that bend over to cover the road, and these trees did just that. So, I decided to pay more attention to photographs of the Fall. Just take a look at this image. Isn't it so pretty?


5. Lovely Photographs. Photo's are a passion of mine. Taking pictures, playing around with them on photo editing software and searching for interesting ones that speak to me are just a few ways I like to spend my time. A good photo (and a good photographer for that matter) in my mind, is a work of art. I recently discovered this little gem which encompasses so much of the things I love. Not only was it taken in the 1920's (vintage!), but it is just after these two were married (such a sweet moment) and the way the camera captured this woman's gorgeous dress and vail flowing extravagantly in the wind made my mouth drop. Do yourself a favor and find a pretty picture that makes you smile. One that gives you a little joy and a peace. And perhaps one like this that takes you outside of yourself and your life. Like a little escape. Photographs are unbelievable.



So, what are your favorite pretty things? Bonnie and I would love to know where you find your happiness!



(Tea Pot image: Laviesoleil.com)

0 comments:

Post a Comment