A Place to Rest

Wednesday, August 18, 2010


Reading is a great way to relax and escape the world around you. But don't you find it hard to really enjoy it if you aren't extremely comfortable? I know I do. I usually have to go hide in my bed and cozy up with all the pillows around me just to be able to sit back and engulf myself in a good book. That can be a little extreme at times, but I believe that there is a solution to this quandary. That is the Reading Nook.

Now the Reading Nook can be more than just a place to read. So, don't get crazy on me if you're yelling at your screen, "Lady, I don't like reading!" I've never been one to spend a lot of time reading (enough to create a special area in my home especially for it) so I know where you are coming from. Instead, consider it your little "Getaway Nook". This area of your home can be a place - even outside - where you can read, write, pray, sleep or just watch nature unfold in your garden. And the best way to make it everything you need it to be is to follow these few, simple steps!

  1. Place the nook in a corner that has a good amount of windows so that you get as much natural light flowing in as possible. This will allow you to have light for reading, writing etc. without having to always turn on a lamp. We do want to be eco-friendly as well!
  2. Use comfortable furniture. This means soft, yet supportive. You want to be able to sit there for a long time without it wrenching you back or neck. Comfortable chairs also need to be made out of the right materials. Leather may work for you, or perhaps a soft and light weight cotton is better - it's really your preference that matters.
  3. Have an ottoman. Ottomans are great for putting your feet up or for acting as a coffee table of sorts. You can throw your magazines and a light blanket on top, or get a sturdy tray for securing your beverage. And when choosing an ottoman, I would recommend an octagonal shape so that it addresses every angle of the room and every piece of furniture in your nook.
  4. Make sure you have storage available to house your books and other "Nook" accessories. Most people would put up some shelves, which is a great option, but consider a small dresser (preferably antique!) because the drawers hide everything and it's completely unexpected in a living room.
  5. Then give it a personal touch. Add fun throw pillows, a lamp shade you decorated, or a quilt you made. But the best way to accomplish this is by utilizing your shelves, dresser-top or side-table for pretty items that speak to your heart. I love flowers, so I always try to have a unique vase or container to hold the gorgeous roses from out front. But you might want to show off a small piece of art, some shells your kids collected at the beach or a few pictures of the people who mean the most in your life. Ultimately, this is your resting place so have things there that help you relax.

0 comments:

Post a Comment