Count Your Blessings

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Well it's Thanksgiving and though I didn't expect to be writing on a holiday, I feel it necessary to share. Planning this holiday with my family has been tough. I have a busy weekend away from my family coming up and so I can only visit my sister and brother who are in town until Sunday today, on Thanksgiving. Of course this upsets me because I only get to visit with them a few times a year and they are so dear to me. I also wanted to spend time with my grandmother who is sick as well as an aunt who has cancer, but they are not well enough to join in the Thanksgiving festivities. There are also many other things in my life that are not exactly going as well as I would like. In fact, my life as it currently stands feels miserable. So, when this holiday rolled around I felt depressed and sorrowful. I was not angry today but simply did not feel thankful or even upbeat.

After having a bit of a breakdown and remembering a film I happened to watch last night, I decided to take a helpful hint from Bing Crosby: 'count my blessings'. Regardless of what is going - or not going - on in my life I have so many things to be thankful for. I have a roof over my head when many do not, I have a few places I was invited to today when others may have nowhere to go and though my finances are a bit frightening right now, there have been times when I had 'none at all'. Sometimes life is pretty and sometimes it's not, but even in those ugly times there is still a blessing or two you can shine up and make pretty on Thanksgiving.


0 comments:

Post a Comment