Handmade Wednesday: Scrapbooking with Fabric

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I am a scrapbooking fool. You may not know this about me, but it is totally and entirely true. I have far too many books completed or ever on-going as well as an entire cabinet in my hallway filled (and I do mean filled) with supplies. Photographs make my heart flutter with excitement and I love putting the memories I create on pages to mull over on those days when life feels sad and overwhelming.

Now to the craft you came for! While I was looking for inspiration on turning my recent dull-drum pages into awakening breath, I came across something that I've seem before but never actually done: use fabric! I have not created these beauties yet myself, but I just thought I would pass them along to any of you other ladies (or gentlemen) who love scrappin' your memories and might need some creative encouragement to keep at it.


This page is from Elizabeth Kartchner from Dear Lizzy (who by the way is gorgeous!). As you can see she has a fabric strip stitched across the pager but the most wonderful bits of fabric on this page are the roses. Though you can purchase them at 2 Peas in a Bucket, I think I could make these little cuties myself.
  1. Take your fabric and cut a thin strip and twist.
  2. Roll your twisted fabric around in a spiral, making it look like the above picture.
  3. Use a glue gun to attach it together, then plop a button or a gem on top to finish!

This one is from EMI Scrapbooking. I loved it because it is simple and easy but will give your page a much desired lift in life. Obviously, you would need a piece of fabric with an embroidered image or words as they have with this lovely flower, but if you embroider yourself them go for it! Then you will need thread and green fabric strips as well as buttons and paper or fabric flowers.
  1. After attaching the pre-embroidered fabric on your page, move on to the flowers!
  2. Take some white or ivory embroidery thread and work a simple straight stitch down a piece of thin green fabric.
  3. Attach to your page.
  4. Stitch (or glue on) your flowers and buttons to the page and walla! You're done.
This last one is too easy for words. But I'll try. Thank Studio Calico for showing us how three simple pieces of uncoordinated fabric can turn your plain jane page into a fun surprise!
  1. Choose your fabric. Cut it to your desired length and width. Stitch it your page!
  2. Now you can stitch using a machine, but the Studio Calico ladies look as though they've just put a quick stitch at either end of each fabric piece.
Have fun scrappin'!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment